Thursday, February 28, 2008

exercise 1

Response to readings 1.

This chapter, The Revenge of Brand X raised what I thought were some interesting points on the role of branding in todays consumer driven culture. It is easy to forget that it is in all simpleness a mark to set yourself apart from the masses. I found that the metaphor between branding a company and an animal useful in reflecting on company identities and the difference between those that succeed and fail. The ones that win a place in my mind are the simple and bold marks, marks of ownership. It also outlines what I think is an often misunderstood difference between advertising and the brand and the purpose of each, and while I believe that it is futile to have one without the other, they are both quite separate in that the brand is the loyalty that the consumer holds in their hearts and the advertising is the tool that attracts attention and changing intellectual stimulation

No comments: